Wednesday, January 7, 2009

First learn balance then....

Ever wondered what it is like to be absolutely at peace with yourself and experience life’s simple pleasures with an open heart and quiet appreciation? If you can do this then you have found your balance.

In the movie the Karate Kid, Mr Miyagi stresses the importance of learning balance to Daniel.

This movie in an understated feel good way teaches one of the most important lessons in life.

First learn balance, then learn....

Balance is everything.

Athletic injuries are usually rooted in balance or really the lack of balance. If you have an imbalance one muscle compensates for a weaker muscle and boom, here comes an injury. I have strong hamstrings and weak glute muscles. Boom, now I have a hamstring injury.

I once lost my balance on my bike while at a complete stop, fell while clipped into my pedals and ended up with a frozen shoulder and a year of misery.

To be an efficient swimmer it is essential to find balance in the water. Struggle with balance in a pool and you waste a lot of energy just trying not to sink. I know this all too well. I excel at sinking. Next time you get a chance watch a good swimmer notice how their hips ride high in the water and they are able to swim with effortless power because they have found balance.

One of my goals this year is to learn balance. I need to learn balance so I can do the activities I enjoy. I want to run for the rest of my life. I want to live the rest of my life.

First learn balance then live life.

No comments:

Post a Comment