Wednesday, June 4, 2008

OORD-vah MOO-kah shvon-AHS-anna)



urdhva mukha = face upward (urdhva = upward
mukha = face)
svana = dog


This is one of the most frequent poses you might do during a Yoga workout. It is usally done as a sequence of poses where you move with your breath usually culminating in Downward facing dog.


I rarely see my dogs practice this pose, but I routinely see them practice Downward facing dog.


I started practicing Yoga earlier this year and every teacher has a slight variation on how to do this pose. There isn't a cookie cutter approach to Yoga. The one thing I have found is every day I do Yoga is different. Someday the poses feel great, other days it just feels awful. Somedays I have great balance and think I am finally getting the hang of it only to be completely humbled at the awkwardness as I struggle through the next practice.


Actually one of the best ways to learn Yoga is by watching my pets. They know exactly how to get the most of the poses. They are truly Yogi's. I have learned from my pets that I don't know much about Yoga.
One of the things to take away from Yoga is to be mindful. There are many different teachers we encounter in life. Some of the smartest have four legs :-)










No comments:

Post a Comment