Sunday, February 1, 2009

Being where you are supposed to be

Do you ever feel like you are doing exactly what you are supposed to be doing, that wherever you are at the moment is where you are supposed to be?

I volunteered yesterday at a Team in Training information meeting for the upcoming season.

I had picked this particular meeting a couple of weeks ago when I recognized the names of some of the other volunteers that had signed up.

My cycling coach Gary was going to be there and Desiree(Melina's mother) was going to deliver the mission moment and Sarah who was the mentor for my group last season was also going to be there to help.

Gary is one of those people that you can't help feeling good when you are around him. He is so enthusiastic about his love for the sport of cycling. I haven't seen Gary since last July when we went riding together and we just picked up where we left off.

Desiree did a fabulous job sharing her story about baby Melina. Melina almost died the first day she was diagnosed at 5 months. Her white blood cell count broke the record at Children's hospital. 1.2 million. Normal levels would be 4500-10,000. Melina kept fighting because she had more work to do.

Melina had a blood cord transplant from a donor in Milan, Italy. There was even hope she might be able to come home and then she started having trouble breathing. Melina died at the age of 10 months. Desiree so wants kids to have a chance at life and she continues to be relentless in her efforts to give kids and adults the chance to live.

Later a young gal shared something with Desiree as she was leaving the meeting. She has a friend named Alex that lives in Milan, Italy and he just had a blood cord transplant from a donor in Colorado. She and her husband had come to the meeting at the last moment. She was right where she was supposed to be.

There were 19 people at the meeting. 10 people signed up for the upcoming season. Desiree is quite the closer. She was where she was supposed to be, fighting for kids to have a chance.

I have often wondered since Kelly died if I am being where I am supposed to be. Can I continue to do this?

For now, the answer is yes. I am where I am supposed to be. I should continue to provide support and hope to others that I meet in this journey. I believe that is what Kelly would want me to do.


Part of living abundantly is being where you are supposed to be, with the people you care about, trying to make a difference along the way.

That was how Kelly lived her life. A very dear friend of mine told me that is now my job to live joyfully. That is where I am supposed to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment