Monday, February 9, 2009

One year ago

Dear Kelly,

One year ago tonight, I hugged you goodbye.

We spent a quiet evening together at the Ronald McDonald house. You showed me your memory scrapbook you were working on.
.
We talked about some things you hoped to do on our trip to New York in the fall. It was a quiet evening among friends, among family. You and Laura talked together on the phone, another nice moment between friends.

Unremarkable, yet it felt different.

I had a really early flight home the next day. You had to go to the hospital in the morning.

I watched the clock tick by. I knew it was time to go.

It was time to say goodbye like we had done so many times before.

I lingered for as long as I could.

I didn't want to fall apart and make this hard for you. I tried to keep it light, hopeful.

I told you, "I love you, I will see you in New York in the fall. We have a date".

We hugged each other goodbye for what turned out to be the last time.

How I wish I could hug you again one more time, see your sweet smile.

Light and love, forever and always.

2 comments:

  1. Ross,

    Wish I could reach out and give you a big hug. You mean so much to our family.

    God Bless,

    Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ross.

    Shocking, I'm sure, but words fail me.

    Thank you for sharing.

    Love and Light.

    ReplyDelete