Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Happy reunion


I went riding with the TNT cycling team last Saturday and what a fun day it was.

I got to go riding with my TNT cycling coach from the 2003 season. It was so nice to see Gary again. Sometimes when you haven't seen someone for a long time, it is hard to pickup where you left off. I hadn't seen Gary since 2004 in Lake Tahoe and we didn't miss a beat. It was a great day.

Gary has such a love for the sport of cycling. We were about 5 miles or so into the ride and he pulled up alongside a very nice lady(Kathy) that is training for the Moab Century ride, introduced himself and immediately went from being out for a Saturday ride to being a coach. Once a coach, always a coach. I tried to get as close as I dared so I could benefit as well. We both got some great tips about stretching on the bike. I never knew you could do Yoga while you were on a bike. Gary showed us how to do a little backbend on the bike. How amazing.

It was such a neat experience. I had so much fun watching Gary at his best. I don't think Gary thought much about it. Kathy was so excited to have him reach out to help her.

Gary loved to watch over his flock, make sure they were safe and enjoying their experience. It just brought back such great memories for me.

We did about a 56 mile roundtrip ride from the REI store, up the Platte River bike path, through Chatfield State park and over to Deer Creek Canyon. Deer Creek has a pretty challenging climb, just a long slow steady grind that is much steeper than it looks. You don't realize how steep it is, until you start descending and then you are just smoking down the hill. I need a refresher about descending. I kind of miss out on the part that most cyclsits love, speeding down a hill that you have worked so hard to climb up. I think something is wrong with me. I would rather climb than descend.

The miles just flew by. I was kind of sad when I got back to the car and the ride was over.

I hope it isn't 4 more years before we go riding again.

1 comment:

  1. I think that is one of the best things about volunteering, you get to meet all these amazing people and get inspired by them. Gary is blessed with such a wonderful gift for helping others, and has given this amazing talent to the fight against cancer. What amazing people these volunteers and coaches are! I am so proud that you are involved in such a high class organization.

    love you!
    -sue

    ReplyDelete