Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Surprise! Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome

As I went to the doctor today, I was prepared to hear the news-You have a torn meniscus and will need surgery. You have to stop running right now. Totally prepared for that.


I was totally surprised to hear him say that I didn't need surgery, my knee actually looked good, no signs of arthritis. That was the good news , oh and by the way, I will give you an injection in your knee to try and calm the inflammation. Off he went to get to prepare the steroid injection. Didn't even have time to think about it.


The bad news is I have had chronic pain in my left knee since the middle of November last year. Off to physical therapy to try and resolve something called Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome(PFPS). I did a google search and found lots of information about the treatment and it is steeped in controversy. So much information available on the Internet. How do you determine what is true?




Good thing, is no surgery. That was quite welcome news. Last time I went to the doctor with a running injury, I found I had a stress fracture in my right foot. I had managed to break my foot while tapering for a marathon. That is still a painful memory.


Now starts the wait to get a prescription for therapy. How long until I actually begin rehab? In some ways the rehab makes everything a bit murkier. Do I keep running, do I stop, and if so for how long.


Doctors and Insurance companies add an extra layer to the challenge.


More to come on this topic.

1 comment:

  1. ross
    i will enjoy visiting your blog - glad for the good news!!!
    today is four weeks since Miss Kelly started her new life in heaven. sigh for me, joy for her!!!
    we press on, waiting on our Lord for his healing and plans for our next phase of life together as a family of four.
    love to you all.....your family is such a blessing to ours!
    your neighbor
    patty

    ReplyDelete