Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Looking towards 2024

Adam and I were in San Antonio last weekend and were fortunate to be riding on the boat during a river boat tour with a a future olympic runner.

Our tour guide told everyone on the boat that we were riding with a young lady who had run in the USATF 3K championship earlier that morning.  We chatted for a bit and I found out she has already run as far as a 10K.  I didn't run my first 10K until I was in my forties.

As we were leaving the boat I waited on the dock so I could ask her a few questions.

I asked her what her name was and when I could expect to watch her running in the Olympics.  I told her that I would be watching.

She smiled sweetly and laughed.  Her parents said that was a ways off.  Maybe 2024.

So you heard it first here.

Keep your eyes open for Elly.  This is the future of American running.  She ran 13:48 for 3000 meters at the age of 10, which is totally ridiculous.

Elly, 2024 Olympic Runner!

In light of what happened at Arapahoe High school last Friday and on the one year anniversary of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary, Elly gave me hope this morning.

Let's make sure this young girl makes it to her start line in 2024 safely.  It's up to us...

“Hope is always available to us. When we feel defeated, we need only take a deep breath and say, "Yes," and hope will reappear.”

No comments:

Post a Comment