Monday, December 5, 2011

Reverb11: Year in Review




Throughout December, I will be sharing my personal responses to the prompts of Reverb11.Below is my response from the third prompt.
3. Year in Review. As you reflect back on the happenings of 2011, what were your high points and what were your low points? What do you notice as you look back on the year as a whole?
High points:
Meeting Patti Digh and Clara Boza in person in Asheville, North Carolina.
Running in a new state, North Carolina(#15)
Going to Europe for the first time. 

Seeing Les Miserables in London. 
Running in two new countries(England and France(#3 and #4)
Training for  and running the Paris marathon(#17) with my daughter Laura and raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society as members of Team in Training.
Celebrating my 28th wedding anniversary with my wife at the Sheraton. 
The search for the perfect Margarita in Denver. 
Meeting new people who have inspired me, Heather Ehle(Project Sanctuary), Cassandra Perkins(Global Voices
Running the Colorado Relay race(200 miles, with my daughter and seeing the first ever proposal at the end of the relay. 

Hugging Marci Shimoff, Don Miguel Ruiz and Cassandra Perkins at the Evolve Expo on 11/11/11. 
Seeing Ragtime at the Arvada Center, Les Miserables at the Buell Theatre.  Love going to the theater with my family. 
Having this extended period of time to be able to spend time with my children. 
Low points:
My mother slipping on black ice and breaking her ankle while walking our dogs. 
Being away from home for 3 1/2 weeks in March.  Longest time I have ever been away from my family.   
Crippling shin pain that almost derailed being to run the Paris marathon.  Initially thought that I had stress fractures in both shins, turned out it was a side effect of new Cholesterol medication(Lipitor). 
Laura having her passport stolen the last night we were in Paris. 
A hit and run that totaled my car. 
Adam moving out.
Buying and starting a business that I had no passion for.  
As I reflect on the year as a whole, there were many more high points than low points.  It certainly has been a year of personal growth which has really felt uncomfortable.  A year that started with career transition starting a new business, experienced family transition, my daughter got engaged, my son left home.  Sue and I became empty nester's.  It is just the two of us for the first time in 24 years.  
As 2011 ends the question of what's next for me remains to be discovered.  What is the work I am to do in the world?  

No comments:

Post a Comment