Friday, July 17, 2009

Remembering those we love



The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society has a remembrance ceremony last night at Washington Park.

It was a nice small gathering attended by about 50 people that came together to honor the lives of those that left us too soon.

They had a table where we could write something about our loved one on a banner that will be present at the Light the Night walks this fall.

I penned a short tribute to Kelly and also one for Laiken, hung a ribbon on the terrace and also wrote their names on a star.

The chaplain read the same poem he did at the Light the Night ceremony last fall which I really like and have posted it again.
And if I go,while you're still here...

Know that I live on, vibrating to a different measure
--behind a thin veil you cannot see through

You will not see me, so you must have faith.

I wait for the time when we can soar together again,
--both aware of each other.

Until then, live your life to its fullest.
And when you need me,

Just whisper my name in your heart,
...I will be there.


This is something I think about at times when I miss Kelly the most. I sometimes whisper her name in my heart and ask her to come be with me.

I just enjoyed the beauty of this park where I have run countless races, too many miles to track, a place that so many times I asked for Kelly to stay with me when I felt weak during a race or just wanted to have special time together.
I don't know how to explain it. I always felt so connected to Kelly when I ran. She was my running partner for so many years...

I reflected quietly on the gift this amazing young girl , young woman gave me.
The chaplain asked what would be the one word you would use to describe the person you are honoring tonight.
I could have picked many, courageous, inspirational, caring, grateful.
I decided on joyful.
Kelly lived her life joyfully, she chose her cancer, she chose life.
How many of us choose our lives, for all that it is and for all that it isn't?
If you aren't choosing your life, I hope you will choose your life like Kelly did.
Living joyfully! Imagine the possibilities...

5 comments:

  1. Very touching post. Your thoughts remind me that we need to appreciate those around us and every minute of life we have. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! You are so right, Kelly chose LIFE and JOY! What a wonderful legacy to leave to us all!

    ps... I choose YOU! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't expect tears this morning. And yet, there they are... Pricking my eyelids...

    L&L to YOU, Ross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All teary over here reading that poem.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ross - you have a gift with words. truly i am so thankful for the legacy of joy and courage she left her family.
    and her unwavering faith and submission to God's will in her life that enabled her to live joyfully in spite of the difficulty of cancer.
    thinking of your family in your loss and sending our love and prayers.
    patty

    ReplyDelete