Sunday, March 29, 2015

March book review-The Triumph and Tragedy of Lyndon Johnson


I found this to be a very interesting read about an important time period in the United States.  I had visited the Lyndon Johnson library while I was in Austin two years ago.  I thought the author did a good job bringing many of the stories about President Johnson to life.

I would have liked it if the author had spent more time covering the Vietnam War, but there was a lot of time and material to cover.

It was really amazing to read that President Johnson withdrew his name as a presidential candidate in late March of the election year and it was almost a month later when Vice President Humphrey declared his candidacy.  That is unthinkable in this day and age to think of a candidate running for six months.

I think this book is a good read for anyone that is interested in U.S. history.  President Johnson's programs to this day have had a profound impact in the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment