Monday, April 15, 2013

Patriot's Day


Adam and I were driving to lunch today when Laura called to tell me there were two small explosions at the finish line of the Boston Marathon. 

We hoped that maybe it was just a terrible accident. As we watched the news unfold it became apparent that this was an act of terrorism.  At this point we don't know if this is a foreign or domestic attack, but nonetheless it is another attack on our country, on our way of life. 

As a runner this hit me hard.  My family has waited at the finish line of many of the marathons that I have been fortunate enough to have run  Finish lines from San Francisco to Paris, France.  Standing in crowds of thousands of people, waiting patiently for me to cross, cheering for countless strangers as they chased and realized their dreams of becoming a marathoner.  

Adam told me today that he has so many great memories of standing at the finish line of many marathons and today that memory was taken away from many runners and their families.  

My heart aches for the families who have had their lives shattered.  My heart aches for the community of runners whose spirit and courage has no limits.  I am honored to be a part of this community that laces up their shoes every week and raises countless money for charitable organizations. 

As a community as a nation, we will bind our hearts together and find a way to get through this.  



If you have a race shirt, please consider wearing it tomorrow or any day for the rest of this week and show your support and solidarity for Boston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment